Posted: April 3, 2018
Youth Assembly Program Coordinator
About the Organization
Friendship Ambassadors Foundation is a non-governmental organization formally associated with the UN Department of Public Information, and with consultative status with UNESCO and ECOSOC. For 45 years, FAF has engendered a variety of programs that promote youth leadership and peace through cultural exchange. With a rich history spanning across decades, FAF has facilitated life-changing cultural exchange and youth programs that enhance global relations and foster action for sustainable development. Through its flagship program, The Youth Assembly, FAF has become one of the leading organizations that prepare the next generation of leaders, social entrepreneurs, public servants, and advocates. The Youth Assembly has touched the lives of hundreds of thousands of young individuals from over 100 countries and has spawned numerous youth-led projects around the world for over a decade.
About the Job
We are looking for a mission-driven and high-spirited Program Coordinator with significant experience working with the United Nations or international NGOs to join the small and dynamic team behind one of the most impactful youth gatherings around the world – The Youth Assembly. This role is currently a project-based position, which can turn into full-time employment following performance review.
The preferred candidate must have a proven track record of successful work experience in conference planning and program development, as well as a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Social Sciences, Marketing, Education, Business or Nonprofit Management or related fields. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in engaging in long-term planning, development, and expansion of organizational programming.
This position plays a fundamental role in engaging key players in sustainable development, including the United Nations, civil society organizations, and the private sector. The role also provides opportunities to develop meaningful connections, as well as transferable and critical skills in program management in a fast paced environment.
Start date: Immediate
- Develop, plan, and organize the programming for the (2018 Summer) 22nd Session of The Youth Assembly
- Work closely with all staff members including Youth Development, Logistics, Registration, and Communications to ensure that all aspects of the program planning are conducted in a timely manner, and of the utmost quality
- Liaise with Youth Assembly speakers, presenters, and workshop leaders to ensure timely submission of session proposals and smooth preparation of all Youth Assembly sessions and activities
- Engage, cultivate, and expand various program partnerships across a variety of sectors, including the United Nations
- Oversee programming interns and volunteers throughout the program planning and execution of the 22nd session of The Youth Assembly
- Provide oversight and proactively troubleshoot any emerging problems related to program management of the Youth Assembly
- Maintain and cultivate productive relationships with partners and speakers virtually and in person
- Meet with high-level officials and key individuals from NGOs and the private sector and gather important resource or connections for the organization
- Lead the development of the structure and writing of the Outcome Document, which will be made available to all FAF stakeholders, including Permanent Missions to the UN and other appropriate UN entities
- Conduct post-event evaluation and participate in event debrief to identify opportunities and challenges in conducting the program
- Perform speaking roles during the event
- Additional duties as assigned or needed
- Bachelor’s degree in International Studies/Affairs, Social Sciences, or other related majors
- Applicable knowledge or familiarity of critical issues in peace and sustainable development, as well as the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Accessible connections with United Nations, agencies, Permanent Missions, or international organization a plus
- Background and experience in management, programming, and hospitality a plus
- Solid listening skills with ability to synthesize ideas, obtain cooperation from others, and transform such ideas into action
- Excellent communication and writing skills with emphasis on ability to present ideas clearly and concisely
- Exceptional collaboration skills and ability to engage with a wide variety of individuals at all levels and of various positions, including high-level officials
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize
- Detail-oriented with strong commitment to providing prompt responses to inquiries and requests until tasks are completed
- High level of organizational and problem-solving skills
- Excellent computer and technology skills
- Charismatic and self-motivated
- Committed to maintaining a professional appearance and demeanor at all times
- Savvy in using file-sharing and collaboration tools and web-conferencing softwares
Please send a cover letter and your resume to Victor Izquierdo at email@example.com. Please note that only applicants who have work authorization and are living in New York / Connecticut are eligible. No phone calls, please.