Outstanding Youth Delegate
To celebrate youth excellence and recognize young role models in today's ever-changing world, the Youth Assembly Organizing Committee will be selecting Outstanding Youth Delegates this winter.
Fifteen (15) finalists will be selected from the accepted youth delegates of the 2017 Winter Youth Assembly at the United Nations. After a rigorous selection process, three (3) Outstanding Youth Delegates will be identified out of the 15 finalists and will be awarded at the closing session. Each of the winners will be awarded with a plaque, $1,000 grant, and the unique opportunity to speak on the podium regarding their commitment to the success of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
1. All applicants should answer the required questionnaire on the registration form carefully and to the best of their ability. To be eligible, the applicant should be 16-28 years old as of February 1, 2017 and have been accepted as a delegate for the current session of the Youth Assembly. Below are the questions on the form (Important: Please note that separate submissions via email or any means other than the registration form will not be considered):
- Why do you want to be a Youth Delegate?
- Which among the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is your primary focus of interest and why?
- Describe how you are/have been working toward realizing the SDGs.
- What are the challenges or difficulties you encountered in these efforts and how do you plan to/how did you overcome them?
- What do you hope to accomplish at the Youth Assembly?
- What are your short and long term plans for ensuring the success of your focal SDG?
- How do you plan to use your experience at the Youth Assembly in achieving them?
2. Responses to the questionnaire will be reviewed and evaluated based on the applicants' unique perspective and demonstrated understanding and commitment towards the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Youth Assembly Organizing Committee will identify and select top 15 most promising questionnaire submissions out of all accepted applications.
3. The 15 finalists will be notified and provided further instructions via email on January 13, 2017. Finalists will be required to present any form of evidence that supports their application during the next round of selection. All finalists will then undergo the first round of interview, which will assess the characteristics, skills, experience, and achievements of each candidate. Only a few will be contacted back for a final interview, which will culminate to the selection of the 3 winners.
Qualities of an Outstanding Youth Delegate
An outstanding youth delegate should:
Characteristics and Skills
- Have a global perspective
- Have a demonstrated understanding and commitment towards the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Have charisma and exceptional public speaking skills
- Demonstrate great self-awareness and a desire for self-improvement and learning
- Possess integrity and have a good reputation within and outside his/her community
- Exemplify excellent leadership capabilities with proven experience of playing an active role towards social action and/or sustainable development solutions
- Have unparalleled experience working with various sectors or organizations towards serving and improving his/her community, as well as promoting the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Have unique contributions to his/her community
- Have proven track record of exceptional achievements related to youth engagement, social action and/or sustainable development solutions
- Possess remarkable potential in contributing to the success of the achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
October 2016 - January 2017: Conference and Delegate Package registration period
January 6 - 12, 2017: Questionnaire evaluations
January 13, 2017: Finalists will be notified via email
January 16 - 20, 2017: Finalist interviews
January 23, 2017: Outstanding Youth Delegates will be notified via email
February 3, 2017: Awarding of Outstanding Youth Delegates